I just purchased a new car but the Orginal Equipment tires are scary in the snow! Tire Rack has a solution for you. A Winter / Snow Tire and Wheel Package. You may say "I don't want to pay the extra money to get the wheels." Look at the purchase as an investment. Let's walk through an example using ZIP Code 13201, Syracuse, NY. Try the example on TireRack.com
for your car.
Tire Rack has many winter tire and wheel combinations available to choose from.
First let's look at some benefits of a Winter / Snow Tire and Wheel Package
- Protect your summer wheels from winter's grime and harshness
- Easy, bolt-on installation at your pace before the first snow
- Free professional mount and balance using Hunter Road Force balancing
- All lug hardware needed included at no charge.
- Better winter traction with a narrower tire
Secondly, the pricing of the Winter / Snow Tire and Wheel Package:
Now let's compare the same tire using the standard 245/40R18:
- Using the 245/40R18 Bridgestone Blizzak WS60 ($164 ea)
- Average installation in ZIP Code 13201 for the 245/40R18 size is $22.23 per tire.
- Check the Recommended Installers list for the installation price in local markets
- Total price shipped to 13201 is $705.94 plus an addtional $22.23 average install.
The tire and wheel option is an investment up front but does allow great benefits. Typically the life of a modern winter tire is 3-4 winters. Using that information, if one were to change tires back and forth twice per year for each winter the price would be $178.80 ($22.23 x 2 x 4 = $178.84). Total price to switch tires back and forth would be $536.40 - $715.20 depending if you see 3 or 4 winters. The investment pays off durring the second year of owning your package! You will be ahead $192.98 - $371.78 depending if your tires last 3 - 4 winters. Check out our selection of winter / snow tires and wheels!