As much as we don't like to admit it, summer is ending and snow is just around the corner. When it comes to winter driving, traction is key and it starts with your tires. Even those vehicles with four-wheel drive, ABS or traction control still rely on their tires for maximum traction.
By design, all-season tires trade a little dry and wet road traction in moderate and warm temperatures to provide light snow traction in below freezing temperatures. Winter / snow tires trade a little dry and wet road handling in moderate and warm temperatures to emphasize wet, ice and snow traction in cold to moderate temperatures.
Below are the performance categories of snow tires available for passenger cars, trucks and SUVs.
- Performance Winter / Snow - For drivers wanting enhanced dry road handling from their winter / snow tires and are willing to trade some snow and ice traction to get it. Top performers in this class, include the Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D and Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3.
- Studless Ice & Snow - This category is designed for the driver who wants to maximize snow and ice traction from their winter / snow tires without the inconvenience of using winter tire studs. A few options worth considering are the Michelin X-Ice Xi3 and Bridgestone Blizzak WS70.
- Studdable Winter / Snow - Are you looking for basic snow traction and/or the additional security provided by adding optional winter tire studs to enhance ice traction? Then take a look at the General AltiMAX Arctic, Firestone Winterforce or another option from this category.
- Light Truck / SUV Performance Winter / Snow - Designed for drivers wanting enhanced dry road handling from their winter / snow tires and are willing to trade some snow and ice traction to get it. If this category sounds like what you're looking for, I would recommend the Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow and Michelin Latitude Alpin HP.
- Light Truck/SUV Studless Ice & Snow - Many drivers want to maximize snow and ice traction without the inconvenience of using winter tire studs. To meet these requirements, we direct customers to look at this category and a few of the top performers include the Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 and Michelin Latitude X-Ice Xi2.
- Light Truck/SUV Studdable Winter / Snow - For drivers wanting basic snow traction and/or the additional security provided by adding optional winter tire studs to enhance traction on ice. A few options worth considering are Firestone's Winterforce LT and General AltiMAX Arctic LT.
I would recommend placing an advance order when you are sure of your selection, rather than waiting until you are in the midst of the snow season. This will help assure the product you want will be available for you, and likely get it to you ahead of the snowfall. For items that are not in stock yet, our order process doesn't charge your credit card until the product leaves our distribution center, therefore no advance charges will appear on your monthly statement until your order ships.
Take a look at our Winter / Snow Tire & Wheel Packages to help you get to your destinations smoothly in winter's worst conditions. They are the best way to outfit your vehicle for the winter season. You'll have the best tires for the conditions you're driving in this winter!