Tire Rack Consumer Review of the Michelin Latitude Tour

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 by Tire Rack Consumer Reviews

The following post was created from content submitted via Tire Rack's consumer surveys. Information shown is the opinion of the consumer and meant to be used for comparison shopping purposes.

Michelin Latitude Tour Reviewer's Overall Rating: 9.12
 
 

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
More Tire Reviews for This Vehicle

 
Buy/More Info
Miles driven on tires: 16,454
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA
Driving Condition: Spirited

Initial Review, 16,454 Miles on Tires
March 05, 2012

In March 2011 I was driving on an 8 year old set of Michelin Cross Terrains size 225/75R/16. The tires were worn well beyond the wear bars resembling slicks more than a highway all season tire. Safe to say, it was time for new tires.

Prior to purchasing, I spent a great deal of time learning about tires, talking to experts, and reading reviews. Besides good wet and dry traction, I wanted a tire that provided a smooth and quiet ride the way my Cross Terrains did. Moreover, I wanted a tire that performed reasonably well in the snow for the occasional winter trip to Tahoe.

I narrowed my search down to two tires, the Michelin Latitude Tour and the Michelin LTX M/S2. I was on the fence between the two tires, but I eventually chose the Latitude Tour, size P225/75R/16, because it had a tighter tread pattern and a softer sidewall, which in my mind translated to a smoother, quieter ride.

65% of my driving by distance on highways here in the Bay Area, the remaining 35% on city streets. I am somewhat of an assertive driver cruising between 70 and 80 mph on the highways and I take corners a bit faster than some. That said, I have put 16,454 miles on my Latitude Tours and could not be happier. The tires provide a smooth and quiet ride in both wet and dry conditions and I have yet to experience any uneven tread wear, hydroplaning, wheel slip, skidding, or stability issues. I can't say for sure but I think my worn Cross Terrains provided a slightly smoother ride, but that was probably due to the lack of tread on those tires.

As of this review, I have not driven in the snow or ice and I never take the Jeep off road so a don't have any input in these areas.

Note: Despite Jeep's suggested tire fill of 33psi per the in the doorjamb sticker, I have my Latitude Tours filled to 40psi cold because the tires look like they are low on air at 33psi. The higher pressure makes for a stiffer ride, but handling is improved.

I would not hesitate to purchase the Latitude Tours again!

 

Comments on Tire Rack Consumer Review of the Michelin Latitude Tour

Leave a comment





Captcha