You've decided that dedicated winter tires are the right choice for you. After doing your research, you decided to go with either the Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 or Michelin X-Ice Xi3 to increase your driving confidence and safety. Next, you must decide if you want to simply purchase tires to mount on your current wheels, or buy a Winter / Snow Tire & Wheel Package.
While initially more expensive, a complete tire and wheel package offers many advantages versus simply swapping winter and summer tires off the same set of wheels each season. Here are some of those advantages to consider:
- A Winter / Snow Tire & Wheel Package is shipped ready to install either by yourself or an installer.
- The cost of mounting fees over the life of a set of winter tires may make buying wheels less expensive than mounting tires each season.
- Most aftermarket wheels cost less than Original Equipment wheels.
- You can bolt on your package at your convenience and avoid waiting in line at a tire shop.
- Save the wear and tear on your expensive factory wheels that winter salt and sand dish out.
- Protect your expensive factory wheels from winter's damaged roads and potholes.
If you're not convinced of the advantages of winter tires compared to all-seasons, be sure to take a look at "Ice Traction Comparison Between All-Season and Winter Tires."