There are many cases where it can be useful to remove your wheels and tires yourself.
- Installing your new Tire & Wheel Package from Tire Rack
- Performing your annual change over from your winter wheel/tire set-up to your summer wheel/tire set-up or visa versa
- Changing brake pads, brake rotors or brake lines
- Inspecting or maintaining axle hubs
- Rotating your tires
Regardless of the reason, there are three essential tools that'll make removing your wheels from your vehicle a safe and easy process.
Tire Rack Aluminum Service Jack and Jack Stand Set
1. Lug wrench - Gorilla's Extendable Lug Wrench Set is perfect for the job. The handle smoothly extends and locks to give you the extra torque you need to break those lugs free and loosen them.
2. Floor jack - The wheel and tire need to be off of the ground before you have a chance of getting them off of the vehicle! A floor jack makes lifting the one corner of the vehicle as easy as pumping a lever. We offer a lightweight aluminum floor jack that will be a great addition to your garage.
3. Jack stands - Once you have the wheel up in the air, use a jack stand to secure the vehicle in its raised position. Using solid jack stands is an important safety measure to have in place in case your floor jack fails or is inadvertently knocked out of place. Purchase a sturdy set from your local hardware or auto parts store, or you can purchase them as a floor jack and stands combination (picture shown above).
You can save money and learn more about your vehicle by performing simple vehicle maintenance yourself.