Back in April 2011, I wrote a blog post about the Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500 shortly after it was released. At the time, this tire was at the top of our customer survey results and initial customer feedback was outstanding. I was so impressed with the tire that I bought a set for one of my vehicles.
While I'm still happy with my purchase, the high performance tire market can change quickly. In just under two years, the Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500 has been dethroned by the BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2 in our Tire Survey Results.
Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500
BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2
Also, during a recent in-house test, the g-Force Sport COMP-2 performed better than the Firestone option. Listed below is a summary of our test, while a complete report can be found by reading "Testing Ultra High Performance Summer Tires."
- What We Liked: Impressive traction, especially in the wet
- What We'd Improve: A small reduction in tread noise
- Conclusion: A very capable Ultra High Performance Summer tire that delivers excellent traction
- Latest Test Rank: 1st
- What We Liked: Reasonable ride quality
- What We'd Improve: Wet traction
- Conclusion: An economical option that doesn't have the ultimate grip to keep pace with the best
- Latest Test Rank: 4th
If you want to combine a good blend of dry and wet street performance when choosing a tire for your sports coupe or sedan, take a look at all Ultra High Performance Summer tire options.