All-New Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 vs Blizzak DM-V1

Bridgestone winter / snow tires are renowned for their outstanding winter traction. For many years, the Blizzak DM-V1 topped the list of best Studless Ice & Snow tires for light trucks, SUVs and crossover vehicles. Its combination of great snow traction, ice traction, wet grip and durability made it the most recommended tire in the category since its introduction. To learn more about how this tire handles tough winter conditions, take a look at "Best Winter Tires for Crossovers and SUV's."

Despite the Blizzak DM-V1's continued success and dominance, Bridgestone pushed the winter performance envelope even further with the addition of the Blizzak DM-V2.  

 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1
Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1
 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2
Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2


The new Blizzak DM-V2 uses Bridgestone's new adaptive NanoPro Tech Multicell compound that, along with bite particles in the tread, help produce surprisingly high levels of grip on ice and hard-packed snow. The new tread pattern features 15% more block edges compared to the class-leading DM-V1 to increase its snow and slush traction.  

Recently, our team had the opportunity to test the DM-V2 against two top competitors on a local ice rink in controlled conditions. The results were impressive! Using our Porsche Cayenne test vehicles, the Blizzak DM-V2 was able to make its way around the ice rink through acceleration, braking and cornering tests with ease over its competitors, the Michelin Latitude X-Ice Xi2 and Yokohama iceGuard iG51v.    

As luck would have it, my current set of Blizzak DM-V1 tires is ready to be replaced after four faithful seasons of winter driving. After experiencing the new DM-V2 firsthand, I have no doubt that it will be the tire I trust this winter. Shop by vehicle to see if the Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 is available for your application.

Comments

Monday, October 5, 2015 by Anand

I wish to buy set of new winter tires for my 2011 Honda CRV, Exl,4wd, i made a google search and find that Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 is one of the best winter tires and the second gen Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 launched.

CRV tire size is 225/65R17, which Brodgestone tyres will be best for Honda CRV, please advice
Friday, October 9, 2015 by Gary

Anand,

The best Bridgestone winter tires in 225/65R17 are the Blizzak DM-V2.
Wednesday, October 14, 2015 by Atul

Based speak to people in the Tire business, they indicate that the Blizzak's are very good the first season but over 4 yrs, the Michelin Ice 2 will out perform it. Also, read any article that stated that Nan-Tech compound makes up only 50% of the tread and once it goes the Blizzak becomes an all-seasons tire. Any comments will be appreciated
Monday, October 19, 2015 by David

Thanks for your article Gary! Interesting to hear what you learned. I was about to order a set of xi2 but I can get a near size in the dmv2s - any chance you guys will be putting up your results so we can see the numbers as well?
Tuesday, October 20, 2015 by Gary

David,

Yes, we will indeed be posting the test results on our site. Stay tuned!
Tuesday, October 20, 2015 by Gary

Atul,

Unfortunately this is very old information. Blizzak winter tires haven't used compounds that turn into all-season tires for over a decade. The first 55% of the Blizzak DM-V2's tread depth features the NanoPro Tech Multicell Compound while the remaining 45% features a standard winter tire compound. They are winter tires all the way down to being worn out.
Tuesday, November 3, 2015 by Patrick

Gary, Great point about the Blizzaks being a winter tire to the last! I am searching for the best tire for me, and this point helps me make that decision regarding the blizzaks. Kinda scary to think that a winter tire could turn into an all season, getting rigidd instead of staying soft!
Tuesday, December 1, 2015 by Dan

It seems that the DM-V2 is a newer tire than the trusty WS80. It looks like the WS80 has a higher speed rating too.
Which is better for my 2016 Subaru Outback?
Wednesday, December 2, 2015 by Gary

Dan,

The newer DM-V2 has a more aggressive tread design and deeper tread for better loose snow and slush traction, while the WS80 has better handling and quicker steering response for the days when you aren't on snow covered roads. Both are outstanding winter tires.
Friday, December 4, 2015 by James

I was interested in using these on my Pathfinder but according to the Bridgestone website the tire isn't compatible with vehicles that have a TPMS.
Monday, December 7, 2015 by Gary

James,

Any type of tire is compatible with TPMS sensors. The sensors only monitor air pressure; they do not have any way of knowing what type of tires is installed on the wheel.

Leave a comment