Many customers are interested in knowing which are the quietest tires available. While some of the perception of tread noise is subjective and may vary from one driver to another, there are definitely some tires that are known for being quiet.
The Grand Touring All-Season performance category is home to some of the quietest car tires and are definitely good choices for drivers who require low road noise. Perennial favorites from this category include:
- Michelin Primacy MXV4 - My most common recommendation to drivers looking for a quiet ride and an excellent all-around tire.
- Bridgestone Turanza Serenity - A little sportier handling than the Michelin and does not offer the same traction when it comes to snowy conditions.
- Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring - A new offering from Goodyear that has received excellent reviews.
The Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season performance category offers options for trucks, whereas the Grand Touring All-Season category is designed for cars. Tires in the Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season category that focus on a smooth and quiet ride include:
- Continental CrossContact LX20 with EcoPlus Technology - A new offering in this category that has garnered excellent reviews for its ride and noise characteristics. While it has relatively few survey miles accumulated, the early numbers are excellent.
- Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza - The tire is a long-time favorite that continues to deliver excellent results. With over 19 million miles reported, it has proven its staying power in the class. Receiving strong marks in wet traction, cornering stability, dry traction and steering response, this tire is an excellent option for premium crossover and sport utility vehicle drivers.
- Michelin Latitude Tour - Besides being one of the quietest tires on the list, most Latitude tires meet Michelin's Green X standards for long tread life, good wet traction and low rolling resistance.